Sunday, August 1, 2010

Organzing The Ice Chest

I was having a hard time organizing the ice chest.  All the stuff on the bottom, yeah, I couldn't reach it.  It was just too deep.  And every time I wanted "something" I had to move 37 other things and then it was soaked and often sitting in melted ice.  Cheese doesn't like water, it got ruined.  Anything in a cardboard box (like say, cream cheese), ruined.  Stuff tipped on it's side (like olives from the deli) leaked.  What a mess.  Considering sometimes we bring about 5-6 meals with us on board at a time, I needed to get in and out of the ice box quite a bit.  This was getting frustrating.  It can be improved, I know it!  What to do, what to do....

There is a shelf on the left side of the icebox which worked out great for holding stuff.  I had already but a basket there to keep "stuff" under control and contained in the ice box. 

So, okay, a couple of more basket from Target and some holes drilled in the bottom by Captain and I have solved my problem.






I have a set of 3 white plastic baskets now, that have these neat little handles that flip inward.  The feature of this flip, is that now the baskets stack.  I now put a block of ice in the very bottom, and nestle the champagne (awaiting a celebration), beer bottles and power-aid.  Then on goes a white basket.  Then another basket, then another.  I usually put ice cubes near the top, because, well, we use those often for cocktails.  The melting ice works it way through all the basket holes and I can easily lift the baskets out and get to whatever I need now easy pea-sy!  Everything stays upright (if I want/need it to) and relatively dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment