Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dolphin Marina, Harpswell

We headed out to Harpswell late on Saturday morning.  It usually takes only about 2-3 hours to get there, so we didn't need to get a very early start.  Captain had emailed and asked about a reservation, but they don't take them.  I sure hope that they have a mooring available after we took the time to sail out there.


The sail out was very gusty.  We were cranking along at 5 knots with both sails up.  The boat was heeling more than 10%, I really don't know how far because the gauge that measures that doesn't go beyond 10%.  I will tell you this, when my eyes get big and my jaw clenches AND I stop talking, Captain takes notice.  The boat was heeling a good deal and he joked about putting the rails in the water.  I am NOT that type of girl!  Maybe in a small boat, on a hot summer day, but not in a big boat on a long sleeve day.  I'm not a thrill ride girl either.  I spend the whole ride wondering just how I am going to die.  So Captain smartly read all the signs and asked me to take the wheel.  "Wha...why, where are you going?!" said I in a pitch a bit higher than normal.  He calmly took in hand all the ropes needed and walked to the mast and lowered the Main Sail.  The boat evened out and we sailed the rest of the trip with just the Jib.  And we continued on at about 4 knots, sometimes 4.5 with just the Jib.  He did comment many times how pleased he was that the boat sailed so well with just the Jib. 



We arrived in Harpswell in no time and I radioed into the marina.  Do they have a mooring for the evening?  Yes, they did.  We squeezed in next to a beautiful Hinckley (one of the many of Captain's dream boats).  This particular mooring was TIGHT.  I had to catch that mooring ball on first try, no matter what.  I did (and honestly, I never miss).  Captain exclaimed to the owner of the beautiful Hinckley that we seemed a bit close, like only 20'.  The other Captain replied that he thought we would be just fine.  And once the boats straightened themselves out with the tides, it did turn out okay.  Late on Saturday night when Captain and I were out admiring the stars and the milky way, we were only about 10-12' away from this beautiful boat.  But none-the-less, no trouble at all.


We arrived at the Dolphin Marina.  http://www.dolphinmarinaandrestaurant.com/

Captain radioed for a pick up from the marina tender.  It was my birthday the other day and Captain wanted to take me into the restaurant for a cocktail.  I can't resist their fish chowder, so I had to get a cup.  They serve their chowder with a blueberry muffin, isn't that different and fun?  We ordered up a bag of ice to take back to the boat as well. 

Back at the boat, we had to put that bag of ice to good use.  Cocktails were in order, but, I had to wait...


Ah, here it is!  Thanks Captain!


The sun was going down and right in my eyes!  Captain was busy hard wiring the CD player/radio, so I had to take some pictures of myself.  He was hard wiring because we had only 1 cigarette light port to plug stuff in.  The radio went in that port most of the time.  I needed to charge my cell phone, so we couldn't listen to the radio. Captain loves music.  So, he fixed that situation up right away. He is super handy and has a overstuffed tool bag and lots of little bits and piece of "stuff" on board to do any type of repair.   He hard wired the radio to we can do other stuff with the cigarette port and there is NO interruption in music. 

Sun is setting over the marina...




Up early and the sail home on Sunday was much much quieter than the sail in.  We saw several harbor seals and Captain fished a bit. 



We also saw our friends Caroline and Jeff enjoying their boat.  They were headed in the opposite direction as us and Caroline was pushing that boat and SHE had their rails in the water!  I guess she is THAT type of girl!  :)

See you next weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment