Sunday, August 22, 2010

Dolphin Behind Our Boat!

Very exciting!  As we headed back to our home port in South Freeport on Saturday, the seas were almost flat calm.  This, combined with a depth of 120-150 feet usually brings along great viewing for sea life.  Harbor Seals were everywhere.  And we were keeping our eyes peeled for whales when Captain spotted Dolphin off the Port side of the boat. We caught site of them several times, in fact we thought there might have been more than one pod of dolphin.   After a bit, they ended up behind our boat and swimming in great circles.  The must have been feeding!  They were all over the place and continuously breaking the surface.  I had plenty of time to grab my camera to get some video to share:


Captain did some research and we believe they were Harbor Porpoise which are often 4-6' long, 120 lbs. or so.  They eat Herring, Mackerel, Hake, Pollack and Squid. 

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see the posts about Sebasco on your blog - my husband and I were married there 4 years ago, right before we moved away. I lived in Topsham and worked in Portland so your 'home territory' is very familiar to me! One of my favorite places to go when I lived in Maine was Boothbay Harbor. It's great seeing the pics and video of the familiar rocky coastline. I'm glad it's been a good summer to sail as sometimes it is not!

    ReplyDelete