Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sea Mist Inspection Before We Purchased

I'm more of the writer here, between the Captain and I. But I am going to try to get him to write a bit about the inspection we had on Sea Mist before we agreed to purchase her and some minor repairs that had to be done before she could be ours. 

Captain had the inspection done by the same extremely qualified surveyor that inspected Boat #1 (remember, he had recommend we don't buy that other boat).   A few minor issues that could be easily fixed came up. 

Hang in there for The Captains Report........

I had a good friend and very qualified surveyor, Mark Corke survey Sea Mist for a pre-purchase inspection.  The boat was lying ashore at a marina in Eliot Maine.  He quickly noticed that the prop shaft had way too much play which meant that the cutless bearing needed to be replaced prior to launching.  A local marine mechanic was located and replaced the cutless bearing.  Normally I do my own repairs but the owner of the boat agreed to absorb the cost of the bearing replacement.  Replacing the bearing is a fairly large job but not impossible for a do-it-yourselfer, in fact Mark the surveyor has a boating blog with a great blog about how to replace cutless bearings. (http://www.onboardwithmarkcorke.com/)  This was the only major issue that we found during the survey.  There were several small issues that I will correct during the season and through next winter.  Fortunately, I enjoy working on boats, and have no problem repairing/updating while the boat is on the mooring.  I am not one to sit and relax when aboard, I always have to putter (Undoubtedly I got that from my Dad who never stops).  I look forward to updating Sea Mist and getting her ready for extended cruising along the beautiful Maine coast this summer and fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment