Sunday, June 6, 2010

Bringing Sea Mist Home...



(Don't I look relaxed!?  Not at all relaxed at the beginning of the trip. But I was putting on a brave face.)

Our biggest hurdle was bringing Sea Mist to her home port, Freeport.   She was down in Kittery and while you can drive from Kittery to Freeport in a little over an hour, sailors know that it takes much, much longer to sail the ocean blue. 

Captain planned and plotted, studied the charts, watched the weather for over a week.  We planned on bringing Sea Mist home on Memorial Day weekend.  This would allow us extra time (time off from work, really)  in case we needed it. 

Captain knew that I was nervous and a friend did offer to sail the boat home with him and therefore leaving me behind. But I knew that he really wanted me to come along for the adventure.  We have not done much long distance cruising, mostly day trips and a stay overnight somewhere in Casco Bay.  This would essentially force us to cruise and to get over the newness of it.    I was indeed nervous.  Heading out on the ocean in a boat we were unfamiliar with, sailing in an area we had never sailed in before.  But Captain carefully showed me his plans, which included a Plan A and a Plan B.  I was confident in his skills and gave myself a pep talk.  Really, Shannon, what is the worst that could happen?  Wait, don't answer that!  Just go!





No comments:

Post a Comment