Sunday, June 6, 2010

Headed out of Pepperell Cove, Kittery. Day 1

We got out of the cove safely (no crazy current issues) and hoisted the main sail and unfurled the fore sail.  Beautiful start to the day.  Not too warm.   But I guess that is all in who you are.  I was wearing jeans, socks and sneakers and a long sleeve t-shirt.  Captain was in shorts and a t-shirt.  

The forecast was for 70's with some clouds.  This was actually good.  We both didn't need to get dehydrated or sunburned on our first day out.  We headed out, pretty far off shore, although I could still recognize some structures.  Like the beach front mansion and a lighthouse.  The seas were a getting a bit big for me.  Big swells. 

(Nothing but the great wide ocean off to the East)!
I was the navigator and eagerly accepted this position.  Captain would read off the longitude and latitude and I would mark it on the chart.  We would search around for a landmark or a can or buoy in the water and  would check it all on the chart.  I was plotting our course very well every hour and drawing it on the chart with a pencil.  It was very cool to see how far we were traveling.

Something had to be done up on deck and I volunteered.   I headed up and fooled around with something on the mast (I can't remember what it was and you will see why in a minute).  After my task, I laid down on the beautiful white sunny deck.  But I started to get very hot.  The sun was hot on my face, but I was getting hot all over.  I quickly sat up and headed back to the cockpit.   Ugh. I don't feel well.  I tried laying down again. Then I got really really hot.   I started taking off my clothes!  Long sleeved shirt, off!  Sneakers and socks, off!  At this point I was tyring to be cool and not tell Captain.  And then he said, "I'm getting chilly I think I need my sweatshirt".  Ugh.  I was sick.  Sea sick.  This is what happens to me when I am going to be really sick.  I get really hot.   I almost took of my pants and sat there in my underwear, I was SO HOT!    Captain was sailing along, and I was fishing around my wrist for my elastic to hold back my hair.  Next thing I knew, I was getting sick and throwing up overboard.  Captain looked a bit shocked and very very concerned.  I hadn't told him that I wasn't feeling well, as I was tyring to be cool.  Those swells!  Those darn swells!  Now, before you tell me about Sea Bands, I was wearing them.  Before you ask about Dramamine, I had taken one.  It was bad out there!  Captain quickly handed me these chalky pills that you chew to help with an upset stomach, I felt much better.  I put my clothes back on.   I have never gotten sick on board before.  And really this must must must be the last time, it was no fun.    It was most likely caused from the swells and my working on the charts.

I was feeling much better and Captain put the boat on auto pilot and headed to the galley to search around for some quick food for us to eat for lunch.  There was no way that I was going down below to make up sandwiches in these swells after being sick.  Note to self (and actually out loud to Captain):  Make sandwiches before leaving port, as you never know what the seas will bring about!

The rest of the trip on day 1 was just fine.  Beautiful views of the shore.  I took several photos of lighthouses and we enjoyed a brief moment of relaxation when Captain put the boat on autopilot and went on deck to check on something.  He called me up to sit beside him and we enjoyed 5 minutes of quiet together time just sailing over the sea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment