Monday, July 25, 2011

A Rough Day On The Water

We woke up about 3:30 AM with rough waves and wind blowing through the harbor.  I managed to get back to sleep but Captain got up around 4:30 to check on things.   After letting me doze for a while, waking up off and on, Captain woke me at 6:00 and asked if I wanted to get going soon. I was surprised, as we usually take out time, enjoy a nice breakfast at the mooring and listen to the radio.  But he has listening to the weather report and thunderstorms were predicted.  I quickly hopped out of bed and put on some clothes and a hat and helped get us underway.  I also made sure that I put on my Sea Bands and pop a motion sickness pill.  It was going to be a rough 6 hour trip home.

The ocean was very very choppy and the swells were 5-10'.  It's always the swells that get me.  While I didn't get sick, I certainly needed to keep my eyes on the horizon and not watch the boat bob up and down the swells.  I needed fresh air too as the diesel engine lets off a few fumes.

I did manage to snap a few pictures as we left the harbor.  I only have 3 pictures here as I couldn't take anymore after this!    At the end of the post, you will see a video that Captain took, this will give you an idea of the conditions we were sailing in.


We don't normally sail with our life jackets, but today we did!


There was some rain and we saw a rainbow!


This is a video I took, you can see the choppy-ness of the water and a storm off in the distance.


This is a short video that Captain took.  It shows the swells the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment