Sunday, April 24, 2011

V-Berth Sheets

I realllly wanted custom v-berth sheets but after getting a price quote and it being higher than the cost of a expensive plane ticket to Florida, I decided that it may be something that I could do myself. 

Often when making up the v-berth I use 2 flat sheets.  They work great, but there is alot of extra sheet at the bottom, where the berth tapers into the bottom of a "V" and is a mere 15" wide.  Tucking in all that extra sheet leaves the foot area of the mattress bumpy.

First I took measurements, and thought that I could simply lay the sheet on the floor (in the house) and measure and cut.  But I wasn't that secure with my measurements and angles (not my strong point, but I'm great at other things!) so I abandoned that idea.


I simply brought the sheet into the boat, laid it out on the V-berth and simply cut with pinking shears the size I wanted.  Then I brought it in and sewed a simple hem all along the edges. 


This custom made flat sheet will serve as our bottom sheet and wrap around the mattress.  I will secure the sheets underneath with sheet "suspenders".  I did the same for the top sheet, so we don't have as much bunched up around our feet.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment